Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fr. Mitch Pacwa, S.J. On Christianity And Islam

Fr. Mitch Pacwa, S.J.
Many American Christians want to better understand Islam but find that the more closely they approach this enigmatic faith, the more complex it seems. Since the Koran is not organized chronologically or thematically, it is difficult for the non-Muslim to make sense of it. The Koran appears so strange to Western eyes that many readers find it difficult to find a firm starting point to read it with comprehension.
Another problem in understanding Islam stems from the many conflicting ideas existing within it. Is it a religion of peace or a religion of warlike jihad? Does jihad mean the individual struggle to submit to God more completely or does it refer to the universal struggle against every non-Muslim society and structure? If Islam teaches so many good things about Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary, why do Muslims have so many difficulties with Christian beliefs? 
Link (here) to the full article at Spero News
More about Fr. Mitch Pacwa, S. J. (here) and (here)

1 comment:

TonyD said...

My first thought on reading this was -- Why would the preface be written by a Jesuit? Wouldn't the approval of Muslim authorities be more relevant? Aren't the authors Christian?

Then I read the book excerpt. At first, I found myself thinking about how terrible Islam seems to be - promoting killing of nonbelievers. Then I remembered - I spent several years working with a small group that included Muslims. I was probably more violent than they were.

So, while I am no expert on Islam, there is something wrong with this book. I won't be recommending it to anyone.