Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Former Mindanao Jesuit, "The Religious Life Was Not For Me"

Adolph "Al" Berenguer said his decision to leave the Jesuits in the Mindanao region of the Philippines has led him to a life of splendor.
"After seven years, I determined that the religious life was not for me," Berenguer said, explaining. "And I am so happy, because now I have three children, six grandchildren -- and we're all in the teaching field. We're not just earning money for ourselves, but sharing our talents."
Berenguer's son, Ignatius "Ike" Berenguer, teaches third-graders in the Hercules school district, where Berenguer came to give a poetry lesson last week. "My entire class got so juiced and jazzed about writing poetry after just that one lesson," Ike Berenguer said. "I haven't seen them more jazzed about the lesson that I've given. (And) he's very softspoken compared to me -- I'm very boisterous."

Link (here) to the full article

No comments: