Sunday, August 9, 2009

Fool For Christ: Fr. Patick Anderson, S.J.

Part of the Biblical basis for it can be seen in the words of the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 4:10, which famously says:

"We are fools on Christ's account, but you are wise in Christ; we are weak, but you are strong; you are held in honor, but we in disrepute."
" Let no one deceive himself. If any one among you considers himself wise in this age, let him become a fool so as to become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in the eyes of God, for it is written: "He catches the wise in their own ruses," (1 Corinthians 3:18-19)
" For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with the wisdom of human eloquence, so that the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its meaning. The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the learning of the learned I will set aside." (1 Corinthians 1:17-19)
"For since in the wisdom of God the world did not come to know God through wisdom, it was the will of God through the foolishness of the proclamation to save those who have faith (1 Corinthians 1:21)
See the "Milford Jesuit Clown Flyer" which has gone viral (here)

Link (here) to an account of the Jesuit Father Patrick Anderson being interrogated by protestant officials for heresy in Scotland.

Two officers, whose duty it is to accompany the criminal, waited outside the gates. Pale and weak as I was, and hardly able to walk, they led me through the town. The people crowded round, saying, ' Here is Jesuit Anderson.'
I walked cheerfully on, smiling and erect, developing St Paul's idea for the benefit of the senators as I went along, ' We are made a spectacle to God, to angels, and to men. We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ'
I was brought before two of the chief bishops of the kingdom, him of St Andrews, and him of Glasgow, and the Lord High Steward, a man of much prudence and judgment, and of great weight in the kingdom. These men had received a new commission from the King to subject me to a most searching examination. The High Steward read the commission granted to him and the others. He then required an oath from me, by which I should bind myself to answer all questions directly and sincerely, dilating at some length on the nature and obligation of an oath,

"'My dear Lord Steward,' said I, 'there are four heads by which I could be examined by you four distinguished men. First, concerning my religion, which is Catholic and Roman, for which I appear here, and for which I am willing to die a thousand times if I could. As the time is now come for confessing it, that Jesus Christ may confess me before the Eternal Father, I promise to reply directly and sincerely to all questions touching faith. Secondly, I could be examined on all that involves the crime of high treason against the King's person, of which I take God to witness that 1 am most innocent, and I pledge myself equally to reply directly and sincerely, when questioned concerning this. Thirdly, I might be examined on things of state—to wit, whether I mixed myself up in them. I promise equally, conscious of my innocence, to reply directly and sincerely. Fourthly, I may be questioned as to what places I have visited in Scotland, and with whom I have stayed. Touching these things I am unwilling to reply directly and to your purpose, nor will I take any oath to do Bo. The law and commandments of Christ our Lord, for whose sake I appear here, His example, the practice of the Catholic Church during these sixteen hundred years, forbid me to reveal these things.'

"' How now, Master Anderson,' said the Bishop of Glasgow,' you attempt to quote Christ before us; Christ, who never gave any such example ?'

"' With all respect, reverend lord,' replied I, ' Christ, when brought up before Annas, the bishop and high priest, and interrogated by him touching His disciples and His teaching, and with whom He had been, replied, as St John the Evangelist says, " I have spoken nothing in secret, but have taught openly; why askest thou Me ? ask those who have heard me." Upon which " one of the servants gave him a blow," as the text says.

The full and gripping account (here)

1 comment:

Joseph Fromm said...

In today society one must consider who are the fools for Christ?

The new mother who refused to get her tubes tied.

The home school parent who has heard the word "socialize" for the umpteenth time.

The faithful priest who has to listen to stories about scandal priests.

The parent who is mocked for having more than two children.

I would be interested in more examples.

JMJ

Joe