Monday, June 15, 2009

I Wish To Be His Child And Belong To Him Forever

Upon emerging from the forest one catches sight of Kalispel Lake with its islands and pine-trees, its sloping shores, its horizon of hills, one above the other, reaching up to summits of eternal snow.

For the missionary, however, the most entrancingly beautiful view is as nothing compared to the joy of gaining a soul for God.

"One day, from the declivity of a hill upon which I was standing, I saw upon the river-bank a little log hut. I called several times—no reply. Feeling drawn to visit the hut, I descended, accompanied by an interpreter. We found there a poor old woman, very ill, and blind. I spoke to her about the Great Spirit, of what one must do to obtain salvation, of baptism, etc. The apostle St. Philip tells us that there are cases in which all the necessary dispositions are found in an act of faith and a sincere desire to know truth. The poor woman's replies breathed respect and love of God. 'Yes,' said she, 'I love God with all my heart. During my whole life He has cared for me. I wish to be His child and belong to Him forever.'
The poor creature then fell on her knees and begged for baptism. I administered the Sacrament, giving her the name of Mary, and hung a medal of the Blessed Virgin around her neck. When leaving her hut and even at some distance away, I still heard her thanking God for this inestimable favor.

"Hardly had I regained the small mountain path when I met the woman's husband. Bent under the weight of years and infirmity, the wretched man could scarcely drag himself along. He was in the forest setting a deer- trap when my men told him of my coming. The poor Indian hurried as best he could, and catching sight of me, cried out from afar in a trembling voice: 'What happiness to see our Father before I die! The Great Spirit is good."

Link (here) to the book entitled the Life of Fr. de Smet, S.J.

No comments: