Friday, March 20, 2009

From The Pages Of America Magazine's Blog

Nice Catholic girl Meets IUD
2009-03-16
By Valerie Schultz

It's not what you're thinking. The reason an IUD was inserted into my uterus earlier today is medical. It is one more attempt in a two-year succession of attempts to tame my monstrous, perimenopausal menstrual cycle that has plunged me into insecurity and anemia. (And I'm not sure which is worse.)
The brochure from my doctor inquires, Is your bleeding heavy? Do you pass clots? Do you wear dark clothing because you worry about accidents? Does your bleeding affect your work, social, athletic, and sexual activities? Yes, yes, yes, and heartily yes.
Here is where I will stop with the graphic details: I am only burdening you with too much information in order to explore the moral implications of the procedure that has made me so crampy and introspective.

Link (here) to the full story, IUD photo (here)

No comments: