Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Jesuit Mission In Cambodia

Richard Fernando, SJ

1970 –1996

In 1996 Richie Fernando SJ was killed aged 26 years by a hand grenade released by a student in the Jesuit Refugee Service technical school for the handicapped near Phnom Penh. On January 3, 1996 Richie wrote in his diary:

"I wish, when I die, people remember not how great, powerful, or talented I was, but that I served and spoke for the truth, I gave witness to what is right, I was sincere in all my works and actions, in other words, I loved and I followed Christ."
Richie Fernando was a long way from home. He was a Filipino Jesuit in Buddhist Cambodia. He was educated and full of promise in a camp where refugees maimed by bullets and land mines and scarred by hunger and disease fought for hope. He loved life in a land where life was hard and death nearby.
Richie went to Cambodia in May 1995 as part of his Jesuit training. He had entered the Society in 1990 and finished the novitiate and collegiate studies. Before going on to theology studies and ordination, he was sent to work at Banteay Prieb, a Jesuit technical school for the handicapped not far from Phnom Penh.
Banteay Prieb describes itself as a "place that enables the disabled to tell their own stories, to gather strength and hope from being with one another, and to learn a new skill that enhances a sense of dignity and worth." Here people disabled by landmines, polio, and accidents learn skills that allow them to earn a living. Banteay Prieb means "the Center of the Dove."

Read the rest of Ritchie's story (here)

Hat Tip to Ignaciophile from Johor Bahru, Malaysia. Daniel Liew's (here) post is entitled, Finding God in all things - Day 1

Daniel talks about his first experiences in a Jesuit retreat/vocations program in Singapore

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joseph. Thanks for the mention. By the way, you have quite a number of good posts. Keep it up and I like reading those posts of yours.

Regards,
Daniel

Joseph Fromm said...

Danial,
Your welcome, I encourage readers to visit Daniel's site. He posts regularly and will give readers an insight into the heart of Malaysia.