Thursday, August 7, 2008

Student Stike At Jesuit University In India

No One knows Why They Striked!
Posted by Thiranjala Weerasinghe, S.J.
I was listening to the lecturer when I heard students shouting slogans in front of the college entrance. For some time I wondered what was happening down there. Some of my friends told me that the principal had slapped one boy and the whole college is on strike. With in few minutes senior students came to our class and forcefully asked us to leave the class room. The students continued their strike for two days.
On the second day when I was question why I should sit in the class while the whole college was on strike, I replied that the freedom they have to continue their strike I to have not to strike. To be honest many students wanted to continue their normal classes. Even many those who joined the strike did not have a clear idea of the purpose of the strike.
The strike is indeed a shame upon the student leadership in St Aloysius College. I could clearly see that the so called leaders lacked the leadership qualities and long term vision for the well-being of the students community. Strike is only one way of solving problems. Surely it was not the best tool under the circumstances that prevailed in St Alosius.
Link to the Jesuit, Your War Our Lives blog with the post entitled, Students Strike in at St. Aloysius College in Magalore, India. The author is Thiranjala Weerasinghe sj.

No comments: