Saturday, July 12, 2008

Slightly Nauseated By Mainstream Media

From Newsweek "On Faith" co-moderator Sally Quinn.
An excerpt.
When I wrote about it I talked about having taken Communion only once before in my life, a year earlier at an evangelical church. I said that it had left me with a “slightly nauseated sensation after I took it, knowing that in some way it represented the body and blood of Jesus Christ.” In retrospect, I should have left that out, even though it was the truth. I can see now how many Christians might have been offended by it. Also, many people misunderstood and thought I had expressed those feelings about Communion at Tim’s funeral. After the piece was published,


Catholic League President Williaml Donohue wrote: ”Just reading what Sally Quinn said is enough to give any Christian, especially Catholics, more than a slightly nauseating sensation. In her privileged world, life is all about experiences and feeling. Moreover, Quinn’s statement not only reeks of narcissism, it shows a profound disrespect for Catholics and the beliefs they hold dear. If she really wanted to get close to Tim Russert, she should have found a way to do so without trampling on Catholic sensibilities. Like praying for him. That’s what Catholics do.”


When I first heard about his criticism I was stunned because I had received nothing but positive feedback. A reporter from the New Republic magazine called and asked me about Donohue's criticism. I said: “Any religious people who purport to be Christians, or whatever faith you might be, would do everything they could to welcome others -- in the case of Catholics, to welcome others the way Christ would welcome others. This is a perfect example of WWJD. Would Jesus have said? 'No you don’t, Sally Quinn. You’re not going to get away with this one.'" In a thoughtful and gently remonstrative piece in America magazine, the national Catholic Weekly, James Martin, S.J. wrote: "So Miss Quinn is quite correct in asking, 'What would Jesus do?' It is an important question for all churches to ask themselves. On the other hand…Catholics believe in the 'real presence', the actual presence of Christ in the elements of the Eucharist: the bread and the wine. It is a central element of our faith, and reception of Communion is something that a Catholic does not do lightly.” He went on to write:” Even if one doesn’t know this, one would know to act with great care when in the midst of a worshiping community not your own.” Martin's advice to me: “Giving tribute to a friend may also mean respecting his religions traditions.” Fr. Martin's follow up (here)

Link (here)

No comments: