Thursday, January 24, 2008

This Why You Hire A Lawyer When You Are On Trial

Majerus, raised a Catholic, graduated from the Jesuit-based Marquette University in Milwaukee, and he’s always been curious about all forms of religion. He once accompanied Huntsman Sr. on an around-the-world trip, and

during the incredible journey he took advantage of the opportunity to pray in mosques, and in Buddhist temples, and in any place where he could learn about another culture’s religion. “I don’t think anyone has the market cornered on religion,”

Majerus told me Wednesday night. “It’s a deeply personal thing. And I never want to impose my views on someone else. I will share my views, certainly. But not impose them, as if I have all the answers, and that I am always right. So I want to discover all that I can. Maybe there is something I don’t know.” The polarizing Burke, on the other hand, has adopted a zero-tolerance policy. According to Burke, it’s the Catholic Church’s way… or the proverbial highway. Those who don’t comply strictly with the Vatican’s teachings aren’t about to receive a warm welcome from the Archbishop. Majerus doesn’t understand that. He believes churches should be inclusive. He doesn’t understand why any church would take a hostile position that could drive worshipers, or potential worshipers, away. “Again, this is just my personal view, but it makes me sad to think that anyone would be made to feel unwelcome or unwanted when they walk through the doors of a church,” he said. Majerus quotes from the play, “Inherit the Wind,” which is a fictional account of the 1925 Scopes Monkey trial that essentially pitted creationists against evolutionists.

Link to the lengthy article in STL.com (here) , worth the read.

No comments: