Thursday, January 24, 2008

Blog Watch: War, Drink, and The Church

War, because life is a battle; Drink, because life is a joy; The Church, because life finds its meaning in Her.
A New Old Pamphlet
I recently came across the title of a pamphlet authored by the great Jesuit classicist Fr. Raymond V. Schoder, S.J. Its title was so Bellocian and so engaging that I actually took the time to contact Loyola University Chicago's archives to try and track it down. The title of the pamphlet--which is described as "lively"--is entitled:"Pity the Greekless: The Sad Story of Egbert, an Unalert Sophomore" I take it that the pamphlet was written back in the 1940's around the time when Schoder wrote his famous books A Reading Course in Homeric Greek. (The texts from which I learned ancient Greek in high school.) Recently these books were updated and republished. I have heard that they are substantially the same with slight additions thus retaining the excitement, charm, and erudition of the original Jesuit authors. Though there aren't plans to teach Homeric Greek (yet!) at Chesterton Academy, you can be sure that Fr. Schoder's scholarship will aid and assist our students in appreciating, understanding, and loving the great works of Homer. I'll update you as soon as I get Father's pamphlet--which promises to be a joy to read!
Update:
Loyola University Chicago's archives confirmed that they have the pamphlet and a copy will be waiting for me when I visit Chicago this weekend!

No comments: