Thursday, December 20, 2007

Jesuit Cardinal Carries His Cross As A Witness To Others

Cardinal's lecture tour shares insights on life and beliefs June Tsai
In November, Cardinal Shan Kuo-hsi, of the Roman Catholic Church embarked on a lecture tour around Taiwan titled "Farewell to Life." Shan was born in Hebei Province, China, in 1923 and joined the Society of Jesus in 1946, being ordained a priest in the Philippines in 1955. Shan served as the bishop of Hualien from 1979 to 1991 and the bishop of Kaohsiung between 1991 and 2006. The late Pope John Paul II elevated him to cardinal status in 1998. He was diagnosed with cancer in August 2006. A few days after the cardinal's 84th birthday, Taiwan Journal staff writer June Tsai interviewed Shan Dec. 5 about his life, belief, concerns and plans for the future. This interview has been edited for length and style.
.
TJ: How did you first become a man of God?
Shan: Both of my parents were Catholics, so I was baptized when I was very young. Yet, the story of how I truly became a man of God is a long one. When I was a young student, a neighbor died after suffering for three days because there was no doctor in my village. The sound of his cries made me think of becoming a doctor, so I could help save lives. During my high-school years, northern China was gripped by the worst drought in more than 100 years. The Sino-Japanese War [1937-1945] was also waging in China, with the Kuomintang, the Communists and the Japanese commanding different areas. This blocked the flow of goods, and a large number of people died of hunger. At that time, my wish was to become an engineer to help manage the flooding of the Yellow River that was one of the causes of the constant famine in northern China. Yet such a project was not possible without a well-functioning government. By the time I needed to decide what to study at university, it was impossible to fulfill both those wishes because there were no related departments in the two universities in northern China. I then thought of becoming a priest, since I had been inspired by the example of my principal at elementary school, Gaspar Lischerong, who was a Hungarian Jesuit priest. I saw him defending refugees in the church, literally with his own body, against Japanese soldiers. Moved by his selflessness, a Japanese official even ordered his men to stand guard outside the church to protect those inside from being harassed by other Japanese troops. I thought if I became a priest, I could still fulfill my wishes by encouraging people to pursue medical or engineering careers to save lives. I therefore decided to go to Beijing and join the Society of Jesus. After studying in Beijing for two years, and before the Communists came to power in 1949, the church sent me abroad to study for the priesthood. I spent 14 years studying and teaching in different countries, finally ending up in Vietnam in 1961. The Jesuit society had just started doing missionary work in Vietnam, and my job was to train missionaries.
.
How was the Roman Catholic Church in Taiwan when you arrived on the island?
Shan: I came to Taiwan later than my other colleagues, in 1963. Most of the Jesuits in Taiwan came directly from China after 1949. Prior to that date, there were only several Dominican missionaries and less than 10,000 converts. There are now about 300,000. Having been expelled from China, young Chinese priests, like myself, came to Taiwan. When I arrived, missionary work in Taiwan was very active in comparison to Taiwan under the Japanese. In those days, there were many of us, all young and full of spirit. Catholic churches, schools, clinics and youth centers sprung up almost overnight. So far, we have built 49 Catholic schools in Taiwan, including three universities. No other religious group in Taiwan has set up so many educational institutions. During those peak years, more than 30 hospitals were established, offering free medical services, and there was a twentyfold increase in the amount of converts. In recent decades, however, due to rapid economic development and a change in values, people seem to have lost interest in religion, and the number of converts has stopped growing.
.
It is estimated that 60 percent of Taiwan's aborigines are Christians, while less than 3 percent of Han Taiwanese are. Why is this so?
Shan: The aborigines have their beliefs, though they are not particularly structured. They did not want to adopt religions held sacred by the Han Chinese, who had driven their ancestors to remote mountainous areas. In addition, Western religious groups offered relief during times of scarcity. Those are some of the many reasons that Taiwan's aborigines converted to Christianity.
.
Would you say today's society in Taiwan is atheist?
Shan: There is a medley of different beliefs in society today. In terms of the Buddhist faith, many believers accept folk traditions and Taoist beliefs. This is true for followers of Taoism as well. Religious belief in Taiwan has a very practical purpose, which may have something to do with the agricultural society from which it developed. People can pray to different deities for many different purposes, to ensure a good harvest, to bring more wealth, for example. Even thieves have an appropriate deity to pray to. You cannot really call people atheists, yet their lives are distinctly materialistic.
.
Is this the greatest difficulty you face when preaching in Taiwan?
Shan: Exactly. Globalization has helped the spread of a single value, which I call "practical atheism." This leads to a life without God, with ordinary people seeking only material gains. All the world's religions face the same challenge.
.
What can the church do to counter this tendency?
Shan: It can set a good example by conducting itself in daily life according to Christian values.
The Mount of Beatitudes Social Welfare Park in Kaohsiung that you initiated began construction last year.
.
Are you going to realize your childhood dream through this project?
Shan: When I became the bishop of Kaohsiung in 1991, I thought of how to serve people in southern Taiwan. After one year of observation, I realized that young people in Kaohsiung and Pingtung Counties were leaving old people behind to seek work in the cities. One part of this project, therefore, offers care and a place for the elderly to live. The second part of the project includes a halfway home for children. A high divorce rate, domestic violence and a growing number of unmarried mothers have all given rise to children without parental care. The park will also include a life-education center, which will teach people to treasure their lives. Normal school education seldom deals with the reality of young people committing suicide.
.
How do you view life after having been diagnosed with cancer?
Shan: I was shocked at first and asked "Why me?," as I do not drink alcohol or smoke. After half an hour of praying, I became peaceful and asked instead, "Why not me?" I do not have any special privilege that prevents me from becoming afflicted. I am almost 85 now and many people do not even live to this age. I regard this disease as a gift from God, reminding me to make good use of the remaining days of my life. I set out on my tour of Taiwan because I felt like sharing my experience with all those people who had also contracted incurable diseases, hoping to help them live with dignity and even gratification. When my doctors saw me on television or in the newspapers, they told me to rest more. I replied that a year ago, they had told me I only had four and a half months to live. I told them I could use all that extra time any way I wanted, and that their powers of healing must be excellent to have given me more time to live. They laughed. I calmed them down by explaining that I would rest in the future. After all, it's a blessing to still be able to do something.

Link (here)

No comments: